Staying Active in the Winter
For those of us who like to be active outdoors, the Canadian winter can be a challenge. Too often, we let the temperature or the lack of daylight become an excuse for not exercising. This year, let’s make it a goal to stay active during the winter by trying some of these simple strategies.
1) Bundle up and head outside anyways! Walking or running outside in the winter can be just as enjoyable as the summer if you bundle up! Dress warm and once you get going you will find that you warm up quite quickly, and don’t even notice the cold.
2) Take advantage of winter sports! One of the great things about Canadian winters is that we have the opportunity to take part in some really fun (and great exercise!) winter sports. Think ice skating, hockey, snow shoeing, cross country and downhill skiing, snowboarding etc.
3) Try mall walking. Many malls have mall walking programs so check with information services at your local centre to see if they have one available. If not, try walking on your own when the mall first opens to beat the crowds.
4) Dust off the old treadmill! Or other exercise equipment you bought with good intentions a few years ago. Many people have purchased exercise equipment that doesn’t get used on a regular basis. Now is the perfect time to make some use of it!
5) Try out the latest fitness trend! The winter is a great time to try out that new fitness class you’ve had your eye on! Group fitness classes are great for keeping you motivated and add a social aspect to exercise.
6) Purchase an exercise DVD and exercise in your home. There are a variety of great exercise DVDs available out there so pick one up from your local department store and exercise in the comfort of your own home.
Remember, staying active in the winter is just as important as any other time of the year! So choose an activity that you enjoy and make it part of your regular routine.